The Classic model — based on delivery of water systems in inaccessible rural areas. The project is funded by several donors, through a multi-donor trust fund. Lead implementation is by a UN agency, using government systems and local and international NGOs and/or private sector for service delivery.
The Customised model. This can be technically specific, organisation specific, or scenario specific :
- Technically specific
- Sector focus e.g. Health, infrastructure, inclusive growth, etc.
- Participatory methods
- Establishing a functional sector working group
- Aid architecture/aid effectiveness principles
- Post conflict or crisis situations
- Organisation specific — following your in-house rules and procedures
- Project design and documentation
- Country Strategy Development
- Budget support operations. General or sector budget support, simulating the definition and/or implementation phases
- Scenario specific — not a main focus of the simulation, but things that will crop up along the way that participants have to deal with
- Fraud/misappropriation of funds
- Staff accident or health crisis
- Responding to a natural disaster/security crisis
- Sudden unwanted media attention and/or scrutiny from main funder
- Implementing budget cuts
- Recruiting field staff
Time Frame. Six weeks with a few hours a week commitment is ideal. It can be compressed into one week. A format with a minimum of five sessions is recommended.